Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sweeping the house

Now it's been said that the sort of South Africans who emigrate legally (the ones other countries want - who are generally well-educated, skilled and, well, at least used to a South African middle-class lifestyle and income) really battle with the simple domestic chores the rest of the Western World's people accept as part of life (once I would have said white South Africans, but these days it is more a case of income than skin colour). Many of them have never cooked or washed up or cleaned their homes. They can be found in many foreign countries looking in puzzlement at a vacuum cleaner or trying to wash up in pure dishwashing liquid, and weeping noisily for Miriam that they never appreciated over the iron...

Of course we're different, as we seem to have spent most of our adult lives too broke to pay a fair wage and therefore not employing anyone. We know how to cook, clean etc.

And to prove it here is a picture of B sweeping the house.
.
.
.
.
.
(wait for it)
.
.
.
.
.


(actually dealing with spiders but it looked good ;-))

6 comments:

  1. Personally, I'm impressed you actually bother with the spiders. We look up once in a blue moon, make sure that Shelob isn't overhead, shrug and say 'meh'. We do make an effort to keep the cobwebs at bay inside the place... but outside?

    Well, heck. Spiders are useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my spider wouldn't spin a web across the walk beside the car, I'd leave her in peace.

    But with a face full of spider web I don't feel too charitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuckle. if it was up to me, I am not even worried by Shelob indoors. B doesn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really, do not like walking into the spider webs. And they insist on spinning between the door and the wash line, not my best. I do try to sweep them so that they can continue to live in the flowers, rather than kill them so that they cannot continue to eat the flies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiders will suck your brain out, then crawl into the empty skull and control you on behalf of the Queen Spiders.
    Truth.
    Death to all spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been advised, here in Japan, that I should never kill a morning spider, but that it is okay to kill them at other times.

    Needless to say, I have inquired about the exact changeover times -- is an 11:59 pm killing okay, whereas the stroke of midnight makes the little beasties off limit? What about lunchtime? Is it okay to trap them in the morning, wait until after noon, and then kill them? So far, such questions are greeted with laughter, but no answers.

    And as to some explanation of what happens to people who kill spiders in the morning... I think it is a state secret or something, because no one seems to be able to tell me about it.

    But I suppose if you're just sweeping them, you probably don't have to worry. But do you sweep with the web or against the web? Feng shui probably has advice for that...

    ReplyDelete