Friday, October 12, 2012

We've had an outbreak of harlequin bugs - sap-suckers in red and black with pale blue innards. Toxic apparently - with those aposematic colors I expect them to be. It does make them easy to catch though. Advice on getting rid of them appreciated.

Oddly enough, having mentioned mushrooms a few days back... we were given some yesterday (and not by a reader) Field mushrooms big ones.


  1. My grandmother made her own pesticides. The base is one quart of water and 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap. To that she would add one of the following depending on the bug. 1/2 ounce Neem oil, 1/2 ounce citrus oil, 1/2 ounce eucalyptus oil.

    For her it was inexpensive and she didn't have to worry about the kids, and later grandkids, eating something without washing pesticide off.

  2. Yes, I have been told to try water dishwasher and vinegar for them. At the moment I just hunted down and killed ever one I could find. being red and black they are quite visible. It may say I am not good to eat, but doesn't help you hide.