Sunday, February 28, 2010

It is so different!

We have had a Tsunami warning, but are too high, and too far from the coast to be in danger, but my heart goes out to all the people whose homes or lives are in danger.

In South Africa, if someone went into your car while you were parked it was to steal. The handbag, the radio, the spare tyre, whatever. Here, on Flinders, I forgot to lock the car while we were parked on the main street for 2 hours this morning, and when I got into the drivers seat I very nearly squashed a bag of tomatoes! Someone had left them on the seat for us. I drove home with a whole new realisation, that we are in a new world, and I am grateful all over again that we are safe here.

8 comments:

  1. It's wonderful. You end up living with an almost permanent feel-good sensation inside ... for simple acts of kindness which seem to come so naturally! But never quite forgetting where you come from, nor the folk you left behind who still live in that nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have said it that well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That actually blows my mind. What a nice thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think we know who it was, we may see her and find out for sure tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, does Island Courtesy demand that you reciprocate with a bag of zuccini? :-)

    What a great place!

    LIn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a pear in red wine, is what she is after, but, yes, some trade is not necessary, but nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to do ;)

    Until the mid-90's my parents didn't even need to lock the house doors, but that changed after someone stole their holiday money during the night. (We suspect they may have seen mum in the bank taking it out).

    Even in the city, however, we have lovely neighbours who often leave us home-made preserves etc, and I give excess seedlings to. I don't think we've done anything for them recently, I think my sister and I have to cook something up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we hope never to have to worry about locking again! But the gift was a really special suprise.

    ReplyDelete