Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thunder



The day dawned... or rather didn't... more like it crept in like a sullen teenager who just got in from that all night party and is now pretending unsuccessfully that they're not tired and bad-tempered. This day came with ill-tempered rumbles and little squalls of rain, that turned into thunder and lightning and a sheeting downpour. Just perfect for not switching on the computer and getting down to work (yesterday 2.1K - today should have been better). And storm followed storm. So I read Peter Mayle's Year in Provence and made B breakfast in bed, and tried not to be too much like a sulky teen myself. I had a baking session, hoping against hope that the stove would be struck by lightning and blow up. We're evolving a lovely hate-hate relationship that stove and I. Yes, I had tinfoil in the vast crack created by the ill-fitting oven door. My absolutely never-fail recommend to non-cooks Matthews's ginger biscuits are pictured below. They are square. They are floppy. Neither of these are their natural state.

Eventually the rain stopped - after lunch - and Barbs went out to start her cutting and I to try and get wordflow going... And then the rain started again. Barbs assures me the cavorting around was perfectly normal mowing and the mentions of 'Thor' were jutht in referenth to her blithters... So we have more rain, which is a good thing as long as the lightning stays away. It's nasty out there and that makes work more attractive. There is something to be said for being warm and dry with hot choc and floppy cookies.

8 comments:

  1. It's good to see that Bass Strait is getting back to it's normal weather* after a delightful summer. <grin>

    [* Or at least the type of weather I've always encountered down there.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. If floppy biscuits were a sign of my re-emergence into the world then it would certainly explain a few things about my last attempt at baking wattleseed* "gingerbread"...

    [* Speaking of which, if you haven't tried cooking with this this yet (it tastes somewhat like coffee) and cannot get it locally, drop me a email and I'll send you some to play with if you like. And maybe some native pepperberry and other Central Oz (ie desert) spices. I'd send you some of the wattleseed icecream too, except I'd be forced to eat it all before it could melt.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you all will be OK if the tsunamis make it there from Chile. Take care, please!

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're 1.3km inland and on the West coast - so should be fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the spice offer, I would love to try them,I just have one worry, are we allowed them on the island?? They are very careful of what comes across from the mainland, that could start growing here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian, funnily enough I've been looking up 'bush food' and eyeing the wattle on our driveway - and - having seen black and silver wattle seeds - wondering just how they did this. I'm very interested - but I also want to learn how to collect it and prepare it. I don't think I have your e-mail. I'll swap you a book for some unusual food things though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending me your snail-mail address through my LJ email account is probably easiest. And it will have to be the prepared/dried stuff, so there shouldn't be any import restrictions. My black thumb, you know. &;t;grin>

    ReplyDelete