Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Going too far South

We have a massive cold front sweeping in and the weather looks really vile for another week. I tried for squid this evening, got none. I have been preparing 2 cut off water tanks to become raised beds... (I have been promised a load of horse manure, and have some compost, and will add some of the sandy soil) and just hit a far south problem - the trees mean in winter even 17 metres away from the tanks the sun angle is such that they're in the shade. Said trees either have to lose some upper limbs or I have to find a better place.

The chooks seem happy, but no eggs today. 9 eggs since they arrived.

5 comments:

  1. Dave, are you familiar with Dave Mollison and the permaculture concept? Take some time to walk around your land and see if there are other options for places to put the beds. Look for trees that could be used as windbreaks. Some shade might not be a bad thing - I use it to grow lettuce longer as the heat makes it bolt overnight, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hens quit in the short days, I think. Maybe an ext cord and evening light?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cedar - it's not my land :-( when it is I'll look more to permaculture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AbigalM 2 eggs today to make up for it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay chookies! I want some. But I have to build a bago...

    ReplyDelete