Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I got back Lady Barron and going to cook Barbs some 'tea' (boat day and a lot of offloading, so she didn't come up) and then having successfully played Wallaby dodgems and discussed the ultimate cray pot with Peter(with thermal probes and probably hot and cold running maids:-)) got home and noticed it was windstill. So I went off to Bluff road to look for flounder, despite the moon being full (you want dark nights). It was bright enough to see colour so a bit of a waste of time, but I have been threatening to get there for some time, so carpe diem, well, carpe noctum or something like that. The area was remarkably fish sparse, probably because of the commercial seine netting. I'm really not sure if they're trawling with those nets, but the damage to fish life seems obvious, whatever. I actually have less time for mechanically hauled seine nets than I have for gill nets (gill nets are passive, size selective gear - limiting the effect of them is not hard. For seining, (which is active - you catch the prey it does not catch itself) mesh size and length and means of set and haul are possible limiters. I didn't see as much as a Toby and I walked 3.4 km - through water - to spot one flounder, which I speared. I was however suffering from sore feet, and sleep was a long time coming when I got back.

Today we had our little writers group again, and I came home and lit the fire. It's windstill but cold and I will forgo floundering tonight.
The chooks did 2 eggs yesterday and three again today!
Go chooks go.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been a fan of the smaller mesh mechanically pulled nets; near shore they move so fast that they damage the little fish that would normally pass through. Hand pulled, or walked, nets don't create the pressure that the big ones do.

    ReplyDelete