Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Battlers

Well, the currency seems dead set on making sure we get a good training in being little Ozzy Battlers. I'm a bit bleak at seeing the Aus$ has now increased 32% against the US$ since we emigrated, and I still earn in US$. Anyway, I have a book to finish, and hopefully get paid for before it gets any worse. Thank Heavens Barbs is working a bit and being paid in the local currency.

Barbs was selling Soup and sandwiches for I think Anglicare (or could be CWA.I lose track. Some good cause.) I made boontjie sop for them. More South African Afrikaans recipes I never cooked back in the old country. And now, to work... this is not going to stop me, but hell's teeth I am just damned tired of working my guts out, getting knocked to my knees by things totally beyond my control, publishers muck-ups, bookstore muck ups, late payments, exchange rates crippling me... and doing it all over again. I've been at this for 19 years now, and most of the progress - if you can call it that - has been by sheer bloody-minded obstinacy getting up from flat on my back, time and time again. I've had a couple of breaks - getting together with Eric, and getting our visa to come here. No really vast breaks, just small, hard-earned steps in the out of my control publishing and bookstore side. I guess i am not one of the cool kids, or maybe I am just a rubbish writer. Anyway, damned if I'll let it beat me. I've got the rights back to 2 books THE FORLORN and A MANKIND WITCH now, and just as soon as I have this book done I must look at putting them up on Kindle, and writing some stuff purely for that purpose. The Kindle collection I did with Eric - CRAWLSPACE AND OTHER STORIES has been the most encouraging thing to happen in the last year - because I see the money and results.
Nil carborundum illigitimi

5 comments:

  1. I've heard a few other writers comment that e-publishing has been a breath of fresh air. Regardless of size having _something_ show up in the bank account on a regular basis is a spirit lifter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, as well as Kindle you could consider adding a paypal option on your website. I would prefer to give it all to you and bypass Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Quilly, the other great side is seeing the figures and soon. No 'It seems to be doing well' and then finding out 11 months later that um... B&N didn't get any copies (yes, that happened to me). And honestly the opacity of the sales figures makes one paranoid. Even if they're terrible, I'd rather know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tan - I've seriously considered this. I'll have to have a serious look at it when this book is done. I suspect I lack the expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not a rubbish writer, don't even say that in jest :P The things that are out of your control seem to be your greatest enemy, but taking control of your work might be the best thing for you yet. When you are offering stuff on the Kindle are you making sure it's for sale on Amazon.co.uk and other national sites, or just the US one? Or does it automatically go on sale everywhere? It may be something you've thought of before but I thought I'd mention it anyway. £2.99 is worth a lot more than $2.99, for example. :)

    ReplyDelete