Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mary was on a mission tonight, more and more complex dances... and the floundering would have been good. I guess I shouldn't have gone dancing. Ah well. It keeps our instructress happy. I made a goat curry - which makes the first time I have knowingly eaten goat. It wasn't half bad, actually, not anything like the chew I anticipated. We had old-fashioned chocolate sponge pudding and the nuts I have been so painstakingly keeping vac-packed and frozen are stale. Moral - check before you preserve, if not before you buy. For us these things are small luxuries that were bought cheap in relative bulk and add a bit of extra variety to food, and maybe a few bits missed in our living-off-the-land nutrition. I am battling a bit for veg at the moment, as we're down to the pumpkin, last few beets, carrots, spring onions, and the only thing that's flourishing is the broccolli - and there isn't that much of it. The peas are producing a last gasp, and the sliverbeet isn't yet growing enough. Ah well, we still have some tomatoes and capisicums which is a miracle, but we'll be down to canned and frozen stuff soon.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    have you considered high density plastic to make a greenhouse?

    A frame construction. Roll the plastic up in summer, roll it partway down for autumn, 90% down for winter.

    clarky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered it. Will probably do something eventually. But I live in the roaring 40's - such a thing needs to be robust (expensive). It takes time and money. Neither of which are very plentiful in my life.

      Delete
  2. My mother grew up on a ranch in the badlands near the Red River in North Texas. No electricity, wood stove -- nineteenth century lifestyle, though it was the 1920s. They canned lots and lots of tomatoes from the garden each summer (over a wood stove in a Texas July), and since dry pasta was cheap. ate a lot of spaghetti and tomato sauce in the winter. She cooked delicious spaghetti sauce, but we never had it often enough -- she'd had enough as a child to be not that fond of it.

    Persevere, spring is not that far away. Here we know we still have to get through the heat of August before September may bring relief, but it must come.

    Does anybody ever take video at the dancing? You could, maybe, put some on youtube -- the Scottish dancing group that is furthest from Scotland, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) If I suggested the video I'd be killed. We're quite happy being inept and not watched.

      We have very odd seasons here -- comes of living in the middle of a big radiator (the sea). Summer goes on into April-May (the warm water from further north keeps it warm), and then autumn goes on into June - winter only really starts in July - but lasts until October. Then we have a short spring and by November its summer - but the water around us is still cold. By January it's OK, but the sea water is probably at its warmest in early March, when it ought to be autumn by the sun.

      Delete
  3. And I just saw that you have a nice little blurb from Sharon Lee

    http://rolanni.livejournal.com/780724.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curried goat is goood, Here in Hobart there is a place does a goat masala that I could eat every day. What curry ingredients do you use? I've made a Durban Indian curry mix that was an absolute pain to get the proportions right.

    DaveC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. I use cumin, coriander, black peppercorns, allspice (rather than cinnamon) cloves, mustard seed and a little star anise. I toast them and crush them. I add chili, and of course garlic, ginger, and some of the yellow stuff that I keep thinking of as borrie. curry leaves, and some bay. And then I play silly buggers with it, and try other things. Never quite the same twice.

      Delete