Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Galway bay

So there I was out Nangetty scrubbing the varnish off the floors making sure I'd never need those firearms. I've discovered the the wonder big empty houses. I have a fine voice, for the frightening of sea-gulls anyway, and I was working my way through the Corries, Clancy's and the Dubliners while working at the varnish. I found 'She rubs the sunlight soap around by Claddaugh, just to watch the suds roll down by Galway Bay' carried best.

There isn't anything left alive for a three mile radius.

I put on the new second hand cistern. The @#$#$$ leaks down into the pan just as badly. Serve me right for terrorizing the wildlife.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to have a nice reverberant place to sing ;-)

    I had a very dry faded corner in the otherwise dark-stained wooden floor, where a floor-length window lets in south sun. I made a mix of half-and-half linseed oil and turpentine, with a tiny admixture of dark brown Old English furniture oil. Rubbed it on with a rag, and the result is magical. It seemed to soak in and fade a bit again after a week or so, so I put on a second coat. That corner blends right in with the rest of the floor now. I kept the extra in a little jar for touch-up coats whenever needed -- that wood has years and years of fading and dryness to make up for, and will probably need further applications.

    Then I got ambitious and used the same stuff, with less of the brown oil, on the upstairs wood floor that had never been finished, just hidden under carpet. More magic. And EASY. Maybe now I'll wax it ... maybe ...

    ReplyDelete