Friday, March 22, 2013

pushing forward

I continue - with various minor disasters - to wrestle with the new computer. It's kind of like 10 steps forward... 6 back, 2 left, 4 right, and a lurch 3 back... which still leaves you winning one step, but not quite where you thought you'd be. I have managed to crash the system 3 times today and it ties to come back as XP which is not working. Basically wanting to copy my pictures was a mistake, it can be done, but in very small bites, otherwise I give it indigestion and it barfs its cookies. Oh well, we get closer. I hope I can mamage to retrieve my places on google earth maps - it has all the bits from the various books set on earth, and also all the fishing and diving spots for the island. Oh well, we go on. I did get my pictures off the camera (directly off the SD card and not through the camera cable, or Nikon software) and Francis found me a translation site for my WP files. I had real epics getting Eric my map of byzantium for Burdens of the Dead, as the computer died twice in the process. Since has been fine. Maybe it just doesn't like or can't stand tin opal... ;-)

We've had rain and wind today, I have yet more gifts of apples to process, and I have done another batch of wallaby biltong. And I made wallaby Kate and Sidney pies for our tea. I must get back to Kate and Sidney puddings with suet pastry (steamed) and lots of thyme and maybe a few oysters (yes, they were used in this dish, because they were cheap - and it is rather nice.)

The chocolate dipping for the morrow has been cancelled, but we're still going to listen to Scottish folk singer in the evening. Great adventures for us rural types.

4 comments:

  1. Care to share your biltong recipe?

    I've been using cider vinegar, coriander seed, palm sugar, pepper and coarse salt with beef as the base meat.

    For a bit of variation I've also used cumin, coriander seed, garlic, cilantro roots, soya sauce (Golden Mountain if available) and cayenne pepper. It's basically the Thai version of Biltong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is more ouma's recipe, just the traditional brown vinegar + a little sauce, brown sugar, coarse salt, fresh roasted and cracked coriander, coarse black pepper. I suppose I've done about 20kg wallaby to 4 of beef, so all of this is still relatively new to me. Wallaby meat is nearly free (a .22 bullet and some time). I've yet to have the time and energy to get fancy. Yours sounds very good.

      Delete
  2. The way your computer is (mis)behaving I think you may be best off nuking from orbit and restarting. By that I mean copying everything you care about - or think you might care about onto an external hard disk and then reinstalling Win 7 after having wiped the HD using your recovery CD of choice (e.g. sysresccd - http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage ). That may not fix the "crash while copying" (but it might) but it should remove all vestiges of XP and anything related to that. Also just in case part of the problem is hardware related you should probably check everything (memory, CPU, IO cards etc) are properly seated and screwed down. You might also want to run a memtest from the recovery CD overnight and see if it reports any failures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem seems to relate to second (old) hard drive. On unplugging that no attempts to return to XP were made. So when I have finished taking all the useful stuff off it, I can unplug it.

      Delete